I have been on the hunt for small dressers to use as bedside tables for a long time. I found this set, and thought they were perfect candidates for a dresser makeover. New nightstands can be pretty pricey, so finding these for $25 each felt like a bargain. I made sure they were solid wood, then got to work stripping and sanding them. It was a bit of a job, but they are finally “good enough.” I may work on the drawer fronts eventually, adding some chippy paint, and I would also love to get some new hardware- which I think I will know when I see it!
Here is what I started with:
They both had a plastic veneer of some sort glued to the top, which I removed. There was wood underneath them, so I sanded it down and stained it with a custom mix. I started out by using a liquid stripper on the body, which was a pain in the butt- so I just ended up sanding them down, and used the heat gun on really tough areas. The pink paint was definitely the most stubborn! The bottom floral drawer was wall paper, so it came off easily.
I liked the look of leaving some of the cream paint behind. As I mentioned, I stained the tops with a custom stain mix of dark walnut and sunbleached. The rest of the the piece is sealed with Miss Mustard Seed Hemp Oil. I also added a bit of white wax to the drawer fronts to tone down the bright wood.
You probably notice the missing handle… well- it broke while I was removing it. Which is ok, because I plan on replacing the handles anyways. I’ll be sure to update you when I find something.
Our bedroom is finally cleared of clutter and project pieces, and that feels great. Our extra bedroom/office is the holding ground for all of the odds and ends that need to be sorted and decluttered. However, the last few weeks I’ve been going through every junk drawer, bathroom cupboard and pantry item. It feels like a fresh start!